Anyone who has a role in documenting and CPT® coding of orthopedic services must have a thorough knowledge of the National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) edits. Correct and compliant coding of multiple procedures, appropriate modifier placement, and an understanding of bundling and unbundling of orthopedic services depend on familiarity with the NCCI manual. Knowledge of what does and does not fall under the postoperative global period is crucial to prevent unbundling, and also helps providers know what they can submit during the global period.
But too often, coders and providers are unfamiliar with the NCCI manual and the NCCI edits. Perhaps they have never studied these or maybe they did a long time ago and now need a refresher. Either way, lack of familiarity with the NCCI manual and NCCI edits lead to errors, incorrect coding, failed edits, and inefficiency.
That's why we've asked coding expert – recently named as one of "America's Most Influential Podiatrists" – Dr. Jeffrey Lehrman to present an educational session on coding and compliance for orthopedic services. During this webcast, he will discuss NCCI edits and key aspects of the manual that pertain to orthopedic practices. You and your team will learn essential guidance that will help to both prevent unbundling and ensure that you aren't missing services that should be coded. This knowledge will allow you to mitigate risk, protect the efficiency of the practice, and ensure adequate payment for services provided.
Why This is Relevant:
There is an abundance of language in the National Correct Coding Initiative manual that speaks to common orthopedic practices, including casting and postoperative services. It is important to know what does and does not fall under a global period. Lack of familiarity with the NCCI manual and NCCI edits lead to errors, incorrect coding, failed edits, and inefficiency.
Take this quick quiz and see if you and your team, like so many others, struggle with orthopedic coding:
- Can you code for casts that are applied during the postoperative global period?
- Can you code for cast application when performed at the same time as an orthopedic procedure?
- Can you code for X-rays during the postoperative global period?
- What is the recognized source to determine whether two procedures are bundled or not?
- Become familiar with the National Correct Coding Initiative Manual
- Learn how to find the National Correct Coding Initiative edits online
- Know how to differentiate between the indicators of "1" and "9" in the National Correct Coding Initiative edits
- Learn the significance of Column 1 versus Column 2 codes in the National Correct Coding Initiative edits
- Know how to differentiate between the modifier 78 and 79
Who Should Attend:
Coders, billers, compliance officers, physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.
CPT® is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.