For coders, COVID-19 is the ultimate moving target, as knowledge about various aspects of the disease continually evolves. Not surprisingly, ICD-10-CM coding for COVID-19 will come with significant changes in 2021. Codes with greater specificity will replace more general codes, and you'll need to adhere to updated coding guidelines.
During this exclusive ICD10monitor webcast, COVID-19 coding and compliance expert Dr. Erica Remer will clearly explain changes for 2021, along with presenting concrete steps to comply with payer and regulatory requirements.
Why This is Relevant:
Much is riding on your consistent application of new ICD-10-CM codes and guidelines for COVID-19, both in terms of revenue opportunities and in our collective ability to better understand the disease through accurate reporting. Increased code specificity will be a major emphasis in 2021, and you don't want your efforts to fall short. Count on Dr. Remer to bring clarity to the changes for 2021, while she guides you toward fully compliant documentation and coding practices.
- Refresh your knowledge of COVID-19 ICD-10-CM coding and documentation basics, from pathophysiology and nomenclature, to proper code sequencing
- Understand definitions and the practical application of expected 2021 ICD-10-CM coding changes related to COVID-19, including new codes for:
- Multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS)
- Cytokine release syndrome
- Pneumonia due to COVID-19
- Exposure to SARS-CoV-2
- Solidify your knowledge of the latest official guidelines for COVID-19 screening — a major point of confusion in 2020
- Get a firmer grasp on how to document and report long-term COVID-19 sequelae
- Understand how ICD-10-CM coding and documentation practices may change post-pandemic, including the possible introduction of new codes (e.g., "encounter for immunization safety counseling" once a safe and effective vaccine is available)
- Time-permitting, Dr. Remer will address questions and redacted case examples submitted by attendees (click here to email your submission by Friday, November 20)
Attendee review of previous COVID-19 webcast:
"Dr. Remer provided pathophysiology and translated it to real-time issues we are facing during this crisis. She provided multiple coding examples clarifying when COVID-19 should and should not be coded, or when a query is indicated."
Who Should Attend:
Coding professionals, coding managers, coding auditing professionals, coding educators, coding compliance staff, clinical documentation integrity specialists (CDISs), CDI physician advisors, and health information management (HIM) professionals, managers, directors and supervisors, compliance officers, and case managers.
Give your COVID-19 coding challenges the one-two punch
As a fingertip reference, our COVID-19: 2021 ICD-10-CM Coding Flowcharts can't be beat! Updated for 2021, these unique at-a-glance visual aids will guide you quickly to the correct, compliant diagnosis codes — and you'll
SAVE 15% when you order the flowcharts with our new COVID-19 webcast. Click here for details.
Webcast Access Privileges: Only one login is allowed per webcast purchased. Discounted pricing for additional registrants is available. For more information about webcast pricing and requirements, click here.